Protectionism Policy in Interstate Relations (USMCA as an Example)
Meshcherikov Victor Aleksandrovich ↑
Economic integration processes between states at the international and regional levels are considered. The importance of the choice of customs policy by the state for establishing interstate economic relations is indicated. Separate types of integration associations of states are distinguished: customs union, free trade zone. North American Free Trade Area (NAFTA) analyzed. As part of the NAFTA Agreement, the goals of its conclusion, the principles of state cooperation, the timing of the application of restrictive measures in relation to each other are considered. The importance of the dispute resolution mechanism under the NAFTA Agreement is considered. The reasons for the termination of the NAFTA Agreement and the conclusion of the new USMCA Agreement are considered, although there were not any of the economic prerequisites for this since in 2008 all trade restrictions were lifted between the USA, Canada and Mexico. The analysis of the USMCA Agreement allows us to look through the participants building relations between themselves in accordance with the World Trade Organization Agreements, and establish customs and tariff regulation rules. Under the USMCA Agreement, participants had agreed on the procedure for admitting goods to the market of their countries, requirements for the average salary of workers in the auto industry, and more. The analysis of the USMCA Agreement statements allows us to conclude that the major part of benefits was taken by the USA.
About the Authors
Meshcherikov Victor Aleksandrovich - Candidate of Juridical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Department of International law, Law School of the Siberian Federal University (79, Svobodnyi pr., Krasnoyarsk, 660041, Russian Federation), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Meshcherikov V.A. Politika protekcionizma v mezhgosudarstvennyh otnosheniyah (na primere USMCA) [Protectionism Policy in Interstate Relations (USMCA as an Example)]. Sibirskij yuridicheskij vestnik [Siberian Law Herald]. 2020, no 2 (89), pp. 107–112. (in Russian).
globalization, trade war, tariff preferences, NAFTA, USMCA
1. Guznenok A.A., Lyazgina D.A., Gudkova O.V. Razvitie vneshnej torgovli Rossii. Dnevnik nauki, 2017, no. 12, pp. 24-25. (in Russian)
2. Demichev A.A., Loginova A.S. Osnovy tamozhennogo dela. Saint Petersburg, Intermediya Publ., 2015, 188 p. (in Russian)
3. Komkova E.G. YUSMKA vmesto NAFTA. Mirovaya ekonomika i mezhdunarodnye otnosheni-ya, 2019, vol. 63, no. 4, pp. 50-58. (in Russian)
4. Kostyunina G.M. Severoamerikanskaya integraciya: 20 let spustya. Vestnik MGIMO, 2015, no. 2 (41), pp. 231-241 (in Russian)
5. Moiseev S.R. Valyutnye soglasheniya v Bretton-Vudse: istoriya, fakty, sudby. Finansy i kredit, 2003, no. 17, pp.76-81. (in Russian)
6. Nikolaeva I.G. Razreshenie sporov v ramkah Severoamerikanskoj zony svobodnoj torgovli. YUridicheskaya nauka, 2017, no. 5, pp. 143-156. (in Russian)
Full text (russian)